> On Mar 25, 2006, at 4:13 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Well, duh. Fanaticism ("Our technique is the best;
> > all other techniques are lesser") is part and parcel
> > of the TM dogma.
>
> Let's not forget (how could we, we hear it here everyday),
> it's also deeply trained and conditioned into adherents:
> effortless, best, fastest and will get you fully enlightened.

Said for the most part by people who have never
in their lives had an experience of enlightenment
or really studied (meaning, working with a teacher,
not from a book) any other technique of meditation.
They just declare these things as absolute TRUTHS,
because that's the way they were presented to them.

And then there's the level of fanaticism I love the
best -- being willing to declare tens of thousands of
people who practice other techniques WRONG about their
OWN experiences in meditation. According to this level
of fanatic, if someone says that their concentration-
based techniques produce transcendence directly, they
are by definition WRONG. The fanatics claim to "know"
that this can never happen, because they "know" how
the mind "really" works in *all* meditation techniques,
based on their limited experience with only one.

Pretty amazing, when you think of it. I've run into
superiority, elitism and fanaticism in other organiz-
ations, but *never* to this extent.

And as long as we're having Fun With Fanaticism, how
'bout the teachers who mindlessly repeat "TM is 100%
life supporting, and has no negative side effects,"
after having seen people twitching uncontrollably
on their own TTC courses?

Or, for that matter, those who keep claiming that the
pundits are gonna be showing up in large numbers
Any Day Now.

Face it...even the Bush administration probably doesn't
have the percentage of fanatics that the TMO does. And
that's really saying something. :-)