--- markmeredith2002 wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" wrote:
> >
> > I had some a friend who was about half way through his Masters degree
> > at MIU who got kicked off the program and off campus when someone made
> > it a point to let the administration know he was gay. This was in the
> > late 70s.
>
> Late 70s?  That's surprising.  I hadn't heard of any gay purges
> pre-bevan rule.

I was too clueless to pick up any gay presence at MIU,
so it came as a shock one morning when some anonymous
contingent of gay students taped posters to the doors of
all the dormitories. (My memory is extremely hazy about
all this, so I welcome corrections.)

Anyway, the 8-1/2" x 11" handwritten, photocopied papers
said, basically, "We're tired of being in the closet and
demand recognition."

I can tell you, the whole thing made me extremely
uncomfortable at the time, and I wasn't alone. (I had
the usual hetero "ick factor" response that's come up
in this forum.) But to make matters worse, the posters
appeared on the day the North Central Accreditation
Review Board was coming to campus. (Maybe this was
the spring of 1980, because the school got accredited
just before I graduated.) It was as if the gays were crying
out to the wider world, "We're in prison here. Help!" I could
not understand it in the least.

I seem to recall, after the whole affair blew over, Bevan
said something to the effect that that these people were
trying to undermine our accreditation efforts and sabotage
the image of the school before the wider world.

You have to understand, we were *all about* proselytizing,
hence the coats and ties. Anything that distracted from
that clean-cut, mainstream image was strictly off the
program. So this gay rights plea on the day the school
was to be inspected by the outside academic world seemed
like an averted catastrophe. (The posters were taken down
right away, of course.)

I don't know what the status of gays is in the TMO today.