I have 2 sources of info on this issue, both of them very honorable
men.  My father was part of the central committee planning the final
invasion of Japan.  He was always a big supporter of the decision to
bomb as he was aware of the official predicted casualty figures for
the invasion, which I don't remember exactly, but over a million
japanese and over 100,000 americans.  My other source is a former
business associate who led the first marine division into japan after
the 2 bombs fell.  He said the japanese had no real defenses left,
guns but no ammo, not as much will as believed.  He feels the invasion
casualty figures were way too high.

I think the US felt the bombing would obviously save american lives
and possibly more japanese lives than an invasion.  Sending a message
to the russians was clearly there, but I feel secondary.