--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason Spock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>       If Lennon was such a crank, How did Yoko Ono take all the
shit.?

She didn't.

She threw him out on his ass, remember?

Remember his lost week-end with mai-pei?

>       Maybe, Yoko Ono was the one who introduced Lennon to
Heroin.??  Maybe Heroin toned him down.??  or was it Maharishi.??

> Robert Gimbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: [FairfieldLife] New Book- by Cynthia Lennon
>
>     Cynthia Lennon shares John's story from her side  FLINT
JOURNAL REVIEW
>     FLINT
>   THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
> Sunday, April 02, 2006   By Rose Mary Reiz
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] • 810.766.6353
>         QUICK TAKE    JOHN
> Cynthia lennon
>
> Crown, $25.95, 32
> Review by Rose Mary Reiz
>
>   Like the woman who helps put her young husband through college
only to be abandoned once he's become a success, Cynthia Lennon was
there for husband John when he was a struggling musician trying to
get his 1950s Liverpool band, the Quarrymen, noticed.
>   Then John and three friends formed a little group called the
Beatles.
>   For the next 10 years - from "Love Me Do" to LSD, from Ed
Sullivan to the Maharishi - Cynthia Lennon was there. And then she
was gone, consigned, in her own words, "to a brief walk-on part in
John's life."
>   "John," a memoir about her years with the legendary Lennon, is
Cynthia's attempt at setting the record straight.
>   "Only I know," she writes in the introduction, "what really
happened between us, why we stayed together, why we parted, and the
price I paid for having been John's wife."
>   The price was steep. Lennon was creative, complex and sometimes
cruel, a brilliant, generous but needy man who preached world peace
while often failing at the domestic variety.
>   Cynthia became besotted with Lennon when both attended the same
Liverpool art school in the 1950s.
>   John was witty, aggressive and rebellious; Cynthia was timid and
eager to please.
>   He, damaged by the early loss of his parents, alternately adored
and abused those he loved. She, like the good co-dependent she was,
withstood his tantrums, determined to love him out of his bad
behavior.
>   Cynthia's story is not new, but her vantage point is
fascinating. In straight-forward, unaffected prose, she shows
readers what it was like to be, first, John Lennon's secret
girlfriend (Beatles manager Brian Epstein wanted Cynthia hidden, out
of fear fans wouldn't like one of the Fab Four being "taken"), and
later, his wife and the mother of their son, Julian.
>     Many of her early memories are sweet recountings of John's
bewilderment at Beatlemania. In one scene, she describes the end of
the flight as the Beatles arrive for the first time in America.
>   "'We can always turn around and go home again if no one likes
us,' John joked, but any ideas about going home again were rapidly
forgotten when we looked out the windows of the plane as it taxied
to a halt. 'Oh my God, look at that!' John spoke for us all, as our
jaws dropped at the side of over ten thousand teenagers singing, 'We
love you, Beatles, oh yes, we do.'"
>   The world loved the Beatles, and Cynthia loved John. And still
does. She writes with compassion about his troubled upbringing, and
his confusion in dealing with a level of fame that made normal life
all but impossible.
>   Cynthia still admires John's humor, talent and generosity toward
fans, speculating the latter may have contributed to his 1980
assassination by a crazed admirer he had spoken with earlier in the
day.
>   She defends her him against some of his critics, but doesn't shy
from describing the humiliating pain of watching him pursue drugs as
a strange artist named Yoko Ono pursued him.
>   Most heartbreaking was John's neglect of son Julian, a confused
little boy who mostly had to learn about his father's whereabouts
from newspaper clippings.
>   At one point, Cynthia describes 6-year-old Julian's confusion
while watching a television broadcast of his father and Yoko lying
in bed during their famous "bed-in" for peace.
>   "'What's Dad doing in bed on the telly?' he asked.
>   'Telling everyone it's very important to have peace,' I answered
through gritted teeth.'"
>   Cynthia Lennon is to be commended for "John." It is a satisfying
read that avoids the pitfalls of most tell-alls and tributes.
>   Some have criticized the book for being as much about Cynthia as
it is about John. True enough - and even more interesting as a
result.