> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <no_reply@>
> > >
> > > Hmm.  What other point might he be addressing,
> > > I wonder?
> >
> > I was extending Shemp the courtesy of realizing he might be making a
> > general observation. People do that -- not commenting on a
specific point. I notice that some, particularly you, often mistakenly
> > assume a post is about your points, when the post is realy a
general observation, or perhaps a response to another posters point.
And you flare out in your usual flaming style.

> I'm sure you can locate and cite some examples, right?
>
> > In this case, I specifically was being diplomatic, becasue I
didn't wand to come across like I have a huge stick up my ass, like
you appear to often.

> Actually, since Shemp's post *directly* addressed
> your claim, I believe you were doing your usual
> passive-aggressive thing, suggesting that his
> comment was somehow *not* really responsive to your
> point, and that that was the reason you weren't sure
> he was addressing it.  It was a nasty little dig, not
> an act of diplomacy.

No, I consciously thought and re-wrote that post to qualify it "if you
were addressing my post". I once questioned a post of sal's assuming
she was addressing a specific point of mine and I was wrong, and she
said, paraphrasing "don't be silly, I was making a general point".
That stuck in my mind. Rory and I used to have off-line correspondence
and once he commented on some point of a post assuming it was he being
pointed to, and I cautioned him "Not all posts are about YOU." We both
laughed. That incident also stuck in my mind.

But only you would make a huge issue over a six word innocuous
qualification "if you were addressing my post".

I appreciate your psychobabble analysis a stranger. Perhaps fertile
ground to look at your possible areas of projection.

> > > "Fortier was also asked to participate in the deadly scheme, yet
> > > he refused to be a part of it. He didn't alert the police of the
> > > plot because he didn't believe Nichols and McVeigh would actually
> > > follow through with their plans, Newsday reported. It was a
> > > mistake that cost 168 lives."
> >
> > While this implies he was just mum, it is not definitive that he was
> > not also interogated by the police -- but not covered by the short
> > story -- and it was on THAT withholding of information that he was
> > convicted.
>
> The biggest problem you have with your attempts at
> analysis is your inability to grasp aspects of
> proportionality with regard to likelihood.

Oh good. I glad thats only my biggest problem. That means al my other
problems are smaller. Yipppeee!!!

> > The reason I question this is that the law as some imply (just being
> > mum) quickly gets into very wierd territory. If one hears some old
> > babbling off-meds street person make some odd threat while one is
> > rushing to work, and you brush it off, and the event does happen,
> > then you could be liable for perhaps 12 years in prison? It jsut
> > seems to draconian.
>
> Indeed.  But it's usually fairly easy to make a
> distinction between what a babbling off-meds street
> person says and what two apparently fully rational
> people say about their detailed plans for a bombing
> that's likely to kill many people.
>
> Proportionality again.

The above situation is parallel -- though exaggerated -- to the one
cited. It raises a valid point. Where is the line drawn IF (yet to be
established) the law only requires mumness not interogation.