--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "peterklutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason Spock <jedi_spock@> wrote:
> >

> >     Maharishi has considerable influence politico-social sphere in
> India.  He can pull strings and get things done.  Besides the number
> of devotees willing to obey him and do anything for him is still high.
> >
> >       In India, if you have the right connections, Nothing can touch
> you.  It is very different from America.
> >
> >       I think the power of the Nephews will diminish if Maharishi
> attains Samadhi [Dies].  They cannot be completely ridden off.
> >
> >       Probably, Bevan Morris and John Hagelin will be the two
> hot-shots controling the movement and it's finances.
> >
> > Rick Archer <fairfieldlife@> wrote:
> >   Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:55:05 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Declaration of Loyalty to Maharishi
> > Mahesh Yogi
> >

> >     I think they've got each other by the balls. It could go like
this:
> > Nephews: "We've got some dirt on you MMY. Keep sending money or
> we'll divulge it."    MMY: "Yeah, well you ain't exactly squeaky-clean
> yourselves. Do something demonstrable with at least some of that money
> or I won't be able to raise more to send you. And besides, I really do
> want to help the world."
> > Nephews: "Deal."
> >
> >          Maharishi also protects them from Tax-raids.
> >
> >   How does he do that? Who protects him?
> >
> >          Without Maharishi they would have lot of problems.
> >
> >   Kindly explain what you think will happen when he dies.
> >

> Are you guys sure you didn't cross some wires during your last program
>   and confused spiritual leadership with the Sopranos?

A couple yrs ago, a friend who knew alot about the Indian TMO said to
me something to the effect:  imagine what will happen to the brains of
the MUM crowd when the truth comes out and they realize the Indian TMO
has as much in common with the mafia as an ashram.

Personally I don't know anything, but think it's pretty naive to think
that hundreds of millions of hard currency has disappeared into an
indian spiritual movement w/o there being some intriguing financial,
political and underworld-type scenarios tangentially involved (though
the Sai Baba empire surely has the juicest hidden stories).

PS - the rather popular novel Shantaram provides an interesting
glimpse into the indian mafias and their relationship with the
spiritual world and Bollywood in Bombay.