--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_couscous_ff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > A company called VisiCorp invented the spreadsheet
> > and marketed it. Their product -- VisiCalc -- basically
> > created the entire PC revolution; people used to walk
> > into the early computer stores saying, "I want a VisiCalc."
> > The clerks would say, "No, what you want is a computer,
> > on which you can run VisiCalc."  And the customer would
> > say, "Whatever.  Just sell me a VisiCalc."
>
> Visicalc, as the killer app, made Apple -- the (IBM) PC
> was yet to come.

And when it did, VisiCalc was one of the first applications
available for it. Dan Bricklin had VisiCalc ported to the
Intel chip before the PC was even released.

I should have said, "...started by a *smart* TMer..."  :-)

> > stole the entire spreadsheet market away from VisiCorp,
>
> But also designed 123 for the NEW IBM PC. And it became
> the killer app for the PC, Lotus "made" the PC (to a
> degree) the way Visicalc had "made" Apple. Right time,
> right place.

But wrong facts, AFAIK. :-) VisiCalc had been available for
IBM PCs since 1981.  Lotus wasn't really widely available
until 1983.  But it was better, and won.

> However, I agree with your examples as a broad analogy. But
> other factors were also in play.

Like the fact that Mitch Kapor actually tried to *sell*
his first versions of Lotus to VisiCorp and they turned
him down.  Within a few years, he owned all the VisiCorp
intellectual property.  :-)