> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <markmeredith@> wrote:
> >
> > From The Onion    April 12, 2006 | Issue 42•15
> >
> > MUMBAI—Air India, the subcontinent's largest airline, announced it
> > will offer upgraded Business Caste seating on all flights starting in
> > July. "More legroom, wider seats—and no need to associate with the
> > manual laborers," a spokesman for the airline said Tuesday. "Our
> > business travelers must have lived good past lives to deserve this."
> > Air India still ranks at the bottom of the airline industry in
> > customer satisfaction, with a high volume of complaints about cooking
> > fires in the climate-uncontrolled cabins, wandering cows that flight
> > attendants refuse to remove, and the "Untouchable" Coach Caste, which
> > is towed behind Air India jetliners in a giant burlap sack.
>
> Does this strike anybody as just a wee bit racist?

The Onion is poking fun at the belief in the caste system, not a race
of people.  While beliefs may permeate a culture for some time, but it
does not define the race.  Ammachi, who has represented Hinduism at
the world parliament of religions, has spoken out against the caste
system, saying it is not scripture, but was added to the scriptures
later on by powerful men wanting to preserve power.  IT may take a
long time to dissolve, but the caste system belief will probably
decline in influence as India continues to develop technologically.

Were cartoons in 19th century Boston that poked fun at slavery racist
against whites?  or southern baptists??  Anyway, I'm glad those
cartoons were published then and that the Onion is doing what it does now.