A week or two after coming home from the 1993 course in Washington DC
I gradually woke up one beautiful morning at our boat. It had been
perfect weather for sleeping and I had slept with just a sheet over
me. As I woke up there was an unusual feeling of freedom and serenity.
Since I woke up gradually it took a minute or so to realize that
something strange was going on. On close examination I realized that
no part of my body was touching the bed. I was calmly floating above
the mattress and there was zero sensation of any pressure beneath my
body. As this idea began to sink in there was an instant recognition
AH this is floating. THen all hell broke loose. Every muscle in this
body contracted and expanded instantly. I essentially thrashed out
with all appendages and woke up my wonderful wife. It was a radical
shift in awareness and the physicality of it all was profound. It felt
like the nervous system had gone into massive overload. It took years
to absorb the internal change that became apparent after that
experience. From my side it seemed awfully important and ultimately I
just realized it was what it was and there was no longer any desire or
need to practice the flying technique. One only needs to have the
experience once to gain the benefits. It takes a long time to
intagrate what has happened. To quote my favorite Jean Kline,
"Awakening is instantaneous, clarity takes place in space/time".
TomT