> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <jpgillam@>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > I couldn't watch Colbert's presentation because nobody
> > > was laughing.
> >
> > Perhaps an indication of the degree that humor (and truth) are
> > social contsructs. We find something more funny if others are
> > laughing, less funny if they are not.
>
> Don't know if this was the case with Patrick, but I
> find it horrendously uncomfortable to watch a comic
> who is bombing with his live audience, even if I
> find him hilarious myself.  I squirm in empathetic
> embarrassment, thinking how the comic must feel.

Yes. I felt the empathetic embarrasment, and some sympathy for those I
felt in the crowd who knew it was funny but thought it inappropriate
to laugh -- in front of the prez and bosses -- while I laughing out
loud at Colbert's jabs. The combinatation was a heightened and
exquisite "tension" (perhaps like an action film) -- keeping me glued
to the screen and on the edge of my chair, while laughing.

> > I wonder for those that did not find him funny, are you familiar
> with
> > his work? Or was this a (near) first time view? I think he may be an
> > aquired taste. The first few times I watched him, I thought he was a
> > bit of a smartalec. Now I get more of what he is doing and more
> > appreciate his subtle but biting satire.
>
> I've never been taken with his show, but the format
> is very different, much looser, and not as coherent
> or pointed for that reason.

OTOH, in his interviews on the show, he is often quite focussed, and
is the interviewer with the quickest wits and response time I have
ever seen.

>The dinner routine was
> more like standup, extremely tight and finely honed.

If he had been able to do the routine live for various audiences, I
think he would have honed it to a devestating level of finese, timeing
and polish.