> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> > wrote:
> <snip>

> > > Read it again, Shemp.
> >
> > I did, Judy, and although the reporting says that, that isn't
what
> > is in quotes.  Read what I wrote, Judy: "...Bush doesn't say
> > above..." indicating quotes.
>
> "The national anthem should be sung in English--not
> Spanish--President Bush declared Friday" is what's
> called an "indirect quote," Shemp.
>
> > And, of course, you should realize that reporters often get
stuff
> > like this wrong.
>
> Every report I've seen of this press conference, from
> at least a dozen different media sources, understood
> his remarks that way.  It's hard to understand them
> any differently.
>
> And here's another *direct* quote, from the NYTimes
> account:
>
> "Asked at a news briefing in the Rose Garden on Friday whether he
> believed the anthem would have the same value in Spanish as it did
in
> English, Mr. Bush said flatly, 'No, I don't.'"

I now understand why you get so much wrong, Judy.  You simply don't
understand the English language and/or your innate prejudices make
you misunderstand what you read.

Of COURSE, singing the anthem in Spanish doesn't have the same value
as singing it in English...BUT that's not the same thing as saying
that it shouldn't be sung in Spanish.

Read it all again, Judy, VERY slowly.

And, hey, reconsider your "indirect" quote comment because this is
at the heart of your confusion.