--- authfriend wrote:

> --- TurquoiseB wrote:
> >
> > --- Gillam wrote:
> > >
> > > I recall a post at alt.meditation.transcendental years
> > > ago by a guy who said he immersed himself in the
> > > organization for 10 years in hopes of getting even
> > > one of the advertised benefits. He moved to Fairfield
> > > and did everything he was told to do *despite being
> > > unable to attribute one benefit* to the practice.
> > > Finally said, "Enough!"
> > >
> > > He said the practice was a sham. What I took away
> > > was, it took him 10 years of TM to grow a spine.
> >
> > That's one very cause-and-effect way of looking
> > at it. Here's another. Remember "Dumbo?" Dumbo
> > was convinced that it was the "magic feather"
> > given to him by his guru that enabled him to fly,
> > so he flew. As it turns out, the feather never
> > did diddleysquat; the ability to fly was always
> > present, just not realized.

Yes, of course. When I say the ex-TMer who took
10 years to grow a spine could credit his growth
to TM, I realize TM may have had nothing to do
with his growth. But, on the other hand, TM *may*
have helped, which is amusing to contemplate.

>   Sometimes a cigar is
> > just a cigar; sometimes someone waking up and
> > realizing that the TM movement is not for them
> > is just waking up and realizing that the TM
> > movement is not for them. TM is not necessarily
> > the "cause" of that revelation, no more than
> > the battery was the "cause" of the battered
> > wife finding a better life without an out-
> > of-control husband.

Yes. Being dissatisfied with something, or its
extreme case of hitting bottom, is a huge
impetous to most of my growth. But I don't
credit suffering with getting me to give it up.

The nature of life is to grow, don't you know.
I'm going to seek more happiness regardless.

> I'm not sure Patrick was suggesting his theory
> applied in all cases.  He was referring to one
> specific type of former TMer, the type who, after
> leaving the movement, spends a significant
> percentage of their time bashing it instead of
> just moving on.

It's been interesting to see the range of relationships
people on this list have to TM:

- I loved TM in the past and still do.
- I was fanatical about TM in the past, but am
   more practical about it today.
- I loved TM at the time and am grateful for what it
    brought, but I do something else now.
- I loved TM delusionally; I feel I was scammed.
- My dysfunctional attachment to the TM ideology has
    been relocated to another ideology. (This reaction is
    never articulated as such; it just appears to be so.)

And the list goes on.

What role does the practice of TM have in any of these
progressions? Individuals would have to speak for
themselves. And I'd love to hear from them. My
conjectures are just play.