--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree there's a severe limit to the progress that can be made with
> talk therapy that focuses on intellectual analysis of past hurts.  But
> the fact remains that you can't transcend your way out of deep
> emotional pain, you have to go through it, and there are numerous
> practical approaches to doing that -- pick up a book on your problem
> to guide you to positive supportive groups, look into breathing
> techniques and bodywork which are essential for emotional pain lodged
> in the body, find a trusted healer who can deal directly with energy
> body, try doing the opposite of what you've been doing that isn't
> working, etc. etc.

It seems TM and other methods (SSRS breathing for example) where
"stuff"-- associated with deep life trauma -- pops up, aka "thoughts",
"strong emotions" etc, but one doesn't dwell on the content but rather
on the generalized structure of the "stuff" via various passive
attention methods.

I don't recall that "real-life" TM - that which is / was practiced on
long rounding courses or siddhi practice saying one can transcend your
way out of deep emotional pain. In effect, one deals with the
structure of the stuff, but that does not require analytical
deconstruction of the event or dynamics on a content level. Nor does
any deep-breathing or rebirthing technique that I am aware of --though
I hardly have comprehensive knowledge of such. Maybe some do. Many don't.

And I agree with Turq. Sometimes, often IME, some issues just
disappear. IME, this happens without any attempt to dig into the
specifics of the trauma and its interlinking dynamics: "you said",
"but you said", but you did", "yea dad did .. " ..., .

For example, my father -- a wonderful guy in many ways -- had a sharp
intellect but with blind spots. And was quite reactive. Sometimes I
think he subconsciously was looking for something to get mad at, to
blow off steam -- a stress release mechanism. (He had a career with
more stress than most). Small things would get him going on some
issue, a bit out of perspective in the view of many. If you "bit"
--bought into the arguement and reacted, it just fed on itself into
some stupid family argument. A week or two after starting TM (I was
17, still living at home), I just stopped reacting. It was not an
intellectual thing. But a natural buffer of contentment and happiness
was there and I just did not react to "silliness". I just smiled with
natural compassion and moved on. No dealing with the specific dynamics
of our interaction. No dealing with parental issues. No dealing with
specific content of his ctiticisms. The problem just evaporated.

Thats not to say that some specific attention on the content (in
distictionion to the structural) level of a problem area may not be
productive in some circumstances. But I disagree with Tom -- if I
understand his position correctly. Its not an absolute necessity.