> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> >

> > In a message dated 5/26/06 9:42:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > mainstream20016@ writes:
> >
> > The character of the best Northerners barely approximates  the
character of
> > mediocre
> > Southerners.   Some of the most  considerate,  thoughtful, and
hopeful people
> > on Earth are
> > from  Mississippi.
> > I am a native Louisianian,  with ancestors there several hundred
years in the
> > past.  I
> > was  disappointed to  hear knee-jerk racist expressions from
southern whites
> > about the
> > blacks who were stranded by Katrina floodwaters in New
Orleans.  Deeply
> > engrained
> > racism remains in the character of  Southerners, and casts an
ugly scar on
> > what would be a
> > beautiful face of  Southerners, were it not for racism..  What a
shame....

> > Racism towards blacks is not limited to the South. Yes  the
South has the
> > legacy of slavery, but the slave ships sailed from Boston  and
New York where
> > blacks have not been treated well even up to  recently. And the
South had the
> > legacy of the Jim Crow laws which were a  result of the failure
of reconstruction
> > policies forced upon the South by the  federal government after
the freeing
> > of the slaves. And the South has the legacy  of the Knights of
the Ku Klux
> > Klan, just turns out there were as many, if not  more, members
in Northern states.
> > I personally believe racism is a human quality  that all people
have to some
> > degree or another all over the world. The more  intelligent ones
can recognize
> > it for what it is and make the effort  to  over come it.
> >

> Recognizing that someone is not part of YOUR "in-group" is a
universal human trait. The
> Japanese have entire sets of verb-forms dedicated to this. They
also have groups of
> native-born people who are STILL not eligible for citizenship even
though they've lived on
> the islands for generations.

...and who we call "the Japanese" are not themselves the
true "natives" to the Islands we know as Japan. The Ainu -- an
alleged Caucasian people -- are the previous inhabitants of Japan.
And there are only several thousand left.  The orientals there that
we call "Japanese" came from China several thousand years ago.