> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hyperbolicgeometry"
> <hyperbolicgeometry@> wrote:
> >
> > Religion & Paranormal
> > The Transcendental Temptation: A Critique of Religion and the
> > Paranormal
> > by Paul Kurtz. Published by Prometheus Books.
> <snip>
> > The first part of the book comprises of a solid explanation and
> > defense of both skepticism and the scientific method. There are, on
> > the one hand, people who defend a practical stance towards
> > knowledge and belief - people who are usually called empiricists,
> > rationalists or skeptics. But on the other hand are people who are
> > not content with mundane reality and who are susceptible to claims
> > about deeper mysteries and truths which require faith for
> > acceptance.
>
> Or which stem from direct personal experience.

Which is a middle ground -- "personally empirical". Not yet
universally empirical.

But personal skepticism is also called for along with personal
empiricism. We "experiece", but also interpret that experience. We
need to question  our interpretations. Is "this" the only possible
interpretation of the experience? It appears to me, a lot of
interpretations of experiences are based on faith / "scripture" / peer
practice / magical thinking, etc.