--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new_morning_blank_slate
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While your conclusiuon does not follow from your illustration,I agree
> with the conclusion. Of course science is not particularly (curently
> at least) relevant to lots of things: beauty, love etc. It can tell us
> some things about cultural and gentic conditioning, perception and its
> traps -- all relevant to love and beauty, but far from comprehensive.
>  I don't consult a scientist to figure out if the sunset is beautiful,
> or if I am in love. Or to figure out Love and Beauty's nature.
>
> My favorite all time joke, illustrative of the limits of science is
> ... 63!!!
>
> For those who don'tremember 63, its the one where the drunk is
> unsuccessfully looking for his car keys under the streetlamp. A
> passerby asks whats the matter blah blah .. and then asks "well where
> did you lose your kyes."
>
> "Over there said the drunk."
>
> "Well why are you looking for them here."
>
> The drunk answers, "The lights much better here."
>
> Some use the light of science to look  for stuff where science cannot
> shine. (Nor the sun).
>
> Like a guy with a hammer, every problem is a nail.

And that doesn't make science irrelevant to many realms. It dosn't
make the paranormal true. Much of the paranormal is within the light
of science. Tele-kinetics, Tele-pathy are all quite testable. In a
couple of centuries, no set of studies indicate much validity to such.
Not that they won't some say. But haven't as of yet.

(And testing tele-kinetics doesn't require some sophisticed not-yet
existing measurement devices. The figgin thing moves or it doesn't. So
far, it has not.