> <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <sparaig@>
> > <shempmcgurk@>

> > > Not to mention that Shemp's stats are bullshit.
> > > In Victorian London, 70% of the population could
> > > barely afford clothes and food, much less a gun.
> > > As usual, he's talking about the rich as if they
> > > were the only ones who 'counted.'
> >
> > Although I can't find statistics that back up or refute
my "almost
> > universal ownership of guns" statement, I remember reading
that.
> > But I'll stand corrected until I am able to come up with
> > something.
>
> If you read it recently, Shemp, it's almost certainly
> related to a disinformation campaign being carried
> out by the NRA in conjunction with a show at their
> museum:
>
> http://nra.nationalfirearms.museum/whats%20new/default.asp
>
> I've seen several references to this made-up statistic
> on gun ownership in Victorian times, all traceable
> back to the NRA.
>
> I don't really want to get into a protracted discussion
> about either guns or the NRA. I got involved only because
> your statistic was obviously false given the levels of
> poverty in England in the Victorian era. We are talking
> about an age where poverty and starvation was rampant
> and in which large percentages of the population didn't
> have anything to *eat*, man.

Well, if you're right, then show some stats or facts to back
yourself up.

At least I showed something in terms of facts...and this professor
Malcolm: she does NOT represent the NRA.

If any of these people had
> a gun, they would have been able to sell it at that time
> for enough money to feed their family for several months.
>
> I think you're being had by people who want to promote
> the idea that gun ownership does not equate crime. If
> that's what they wanted to prove, they had to go no
> further than mondern-day Canada. There was no need to
> make up statistics about Victorian England.

You're right...because in many categories the crime rate in Canada
is HIGHER than in the U.S....and it's not the NRA saying this but
the most biased-towards-Canada source than there could be: the
Canadian government:

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/011218/d011218b.htm