> Thanks for posting this. Although your title is somewhat
> disingenuous, given the statement within the text that states:

> "The ways of a Jnani are mysterious. Only a Jivammukta can know a
> Jivanmukta. The description given of a Jnani in the Bhagavad-Gita
> and various other books is quite inadequate, incomplete, and
> imperfect.
> His state can never be imagined by the limited mind and can
> never be described by the finite speech. He shines in his own
> pristine glory."
>
> I still found it to be basically a useful and
> inspiring 'definition', very similar to what other realized sages
> have written about this state.

I think the secret of why "sages" would propose a
"definition" even while admitting that one cannot
be given is pretty simple: they wish to be considered
the "experts," the "authority" in such matters.

Throughout history, the enlightened have tended to
give non-definitions such as the one you quote above,
stating the impossibility of the task. In my exper-
ience, whether they *then* go on to violate that state-
ment and propose a definition has a lot to do with
their position in the society of the time, and whether
they have a position and an income to protect. If they
do, well duh...it is in their interest to 1) set them-
selves up as the arbiters of "what is enlightened and
what is not" (only a Jivanmukta can recognize a Jivan-
mukta") and 2) come up with "definitions" that
define *themselves* as individual who, *by definition*
are "perfect," free from "weaknesseses and
limitations," "omniscient," etc.

In other words, I think it's wise to look into what
the author of any definition of enlightenment was
selling before considering it definitive.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

> > JIVANMUKTA
> >
> > By
> >
> > SRI SWAMI SIVANANDA
> >
> > Introduction
> >
> > Signs of a Jivanmukta
> >
> > The Double-Consciousness of a Jivanmukta
> > Difference between a Worldly Man and a Liberated Sage
> > Cosmic Vision
> > Samadhi Jnani and Vyavahara Jnani
> > How the Jivanmukta Lives and Works
> > Physical Nudity and Mental Nudity
> > A Blessing to the World
> > The Sage Lives for Ever
> >
> > INTRODUCTION
> >
> > A Jivanmukta is a liberated sage. He is released even while
> living.
> > He lives in the world, but he is not of the world. He always
> revels
> > in the eternal bliss of the Supreme Self. He is Ishvara (God)
> > Himself. He is a God on earth.
> >
> > The Jivanmukta or full-blown Jnani (a person with full wisdom)
is
> > full of pure love, compassion, mercy, exquisite gentleness, and
> > hidden power and strength. Love and lustre shine through his
> > brilliant eyes.
> >
> > The Jivanmukta has not a bit of selfish interest in him and is
> > absolutely free from worries, difficulties, troubles,
> tribulations,
> > sorrows, and anxieties under all circumstances. Even when pains
> and
> > the rest attaching themselves to his body exhibit themselves on
> his
> > face, his mind never writhes under them and their antithesis. He
> is
> > not a slave of his moods; he is ever cheerful and peaceful. His
> > higher excellences have been perfectly unfolded; all divine
> > attributes are fully awakened in him. Every one of his
weaknesses
> [...]

> > Jivanmukta. The Jivanmukta sees the world as a dream within
> himself.
> > Just as the mirage appears even after the illusory nature of
the
> > water is understood, so also, the world appears for the
> Jivanmukta
> > even after he has attained Self- realisation, even after he has
> > clearly understood the illusory nature of the world. But, just
as
> the
> > man who has understood the nature of the mirage will not run
> after
> > the mirage for drinking water, so also, the Jivanmukta will not
> run
> > after sensual objects like the worldly-minded people, though
the
> > world appears to him. That is the difference between a worldly
> man
> > and a liberated sage.
> >
> > When he is absorbed in Brahman, the Glory of glories, the Soul
of
> > souls, the Jivanmukta will not be able to work. But, when he
> comes
> > down from his full Brahmic consciousness owing to the force of
> > Prarabdha (destiny) and Vikshepa Sakti (tossing of the mind), he
> will
> > pour forth his love at the cry of a suffering soul. So radiant
> and
> > compassionate is he. He is the ocean of mercy and love and
peace,
> > Buddha or Jesus.
> >
> > COSMIC VISION
> >
> > The Jivanmukta beholds the one Reality or God everywhere and in
> all
> > things. For him there is no distinction between a rogue and a
> saint,
> > gold and stone, honour and dishonour. He actually feels that all
> is
> > himself only, that snakes, scorpions, tigers, bears, and lions
are
> as
> > much part of himself as his own eyes, nose, ears, hands, and
feet.
> He
> > is one with the flower, ether, sun, ocean, mountain, and sky. He
> has
> > cosmic vision and cosmic feelings.
> >
> > SAMADHI JNANI AND VYAVAHARA JNANI
> >
> > The way of living of Jivanmuktas or sages differs. One sage
lives
> in
> > a princely style. Bhagiratha lived this kind of life. Another
> sage
> > lives in a beggarly manner. One sage is always in a meditative
> mood.
> > He never works. He never talks. He lives always in seclusion.
> Jada
> > Bharata lived this kind of life. Another sage lives in a busy
> crowded
> > city. He plunges himself in service. He talks with the people.
He
> [...]

sees
> > nothing outside, just as you do. He sees through his Divya
> Drishti
> > (divine perception) or Jnana Chakshus (divine vision), and not
> > through the physical eyes. A Jnani, with the help of the
powerful
> > lens, the eye of Atman (the Self, God), sees the whole world
with
> all
> > the details of creation. He sees the astral body, the causal
body
> > with its Samskaras, the Pranic aura, psychic aura, magnetic
aura,
> > etc., of a man. It is very difficult for a worldly man with
> practical
> > Buddhi (intellect) to mentally visualise how a Jnani sees the
> > physical universe while he is working.
> >
> > HOW THE JIVANMUKTA LIVES AND WORKS
> >
> > A Jivanmukta is not a whimsical man. He is not bound by the
rules
> of
> > Sastra (scripture) or society. And yet, he will not deviate
from
> > Dharma (righteous conduct). All that he does will be in strict
> > accordance with the scriptures or sacred books. He spontaneously
> does
> > only what is good. An expert dancer never makes a false step. So
> is a
> > Jivanmukta when he works.
> >
> > The sage works without effort, without agency, without egoism,
> > attachment and desire. Like a child, his conduct is neither good
> nor
> > evil.
> >
> > The Jivanmukta acts only like a child. The sense of right and
> wrong
> > will be natural in him independently of scriptural teachings. He
> has
> > destroyed all egoism. He is above Karma, and Karmas cannot touch
> him.
> > He may, for the instruction of the world, perform works or
> refrain
> > from forbidden acts.
> >
> > The Jivanmukta does not care for public criticism. He keeps a
> cool
> > mind even when he is assaulted. He blesses those who persecute
> him.
> > He beholds only his own Self everywhere.
> >
> > His mark or characteristic is an internal mental state. It
cannot
> be
> > perceived or detected by others. The Lord uses him for His
divine
> work.
> >
> > PHYSICAL NUDITY AND MENTAL NUDITY
> >
> > A Brahma Jnani or Jivanmukta need not be a genius. He need not
be
> an
> > eloquent speaker, orator, lecturer, or professor. But he is
calm,
> > serene, and tranquil. He is taciturn and silent. His silence is
> > superior eloquence. He has divine wisdom and intuitive
knowledge.
> In
> > his presence, all doubts are cleared.
> >
> > Householders make wrong judgments in deciding the nature of a
> > Jivanmukta. They take into considerate only the external
> conditions
> > of a Jivanmukta. Even educated people commit mistakes in this
> regard.
> >
> > A Sadhu may be physically nude. He may not keep anything with
him.
> He
> > may use his hands as the begging bowl and live underneath a
tree.
> He
> > may live in a forest. Yet, he may be the greatest scoundrel; he
> may
> > be the most worldly- minded man with internal and external
> > attachments. He may dance in joy when he gets an eight-anna
piece
> > (money) for his opium-smoking. His mind may be full of
> distractions
> > and disturbances. Whereas, a man may live in the bustle of a
town
> or
> > city. He may lead the life of a big Babu (gentalem). He may
wear
> > fashionable dress. He may cat dainties. Yet he may not have the
> least
> > attachment and craving for anything. Sri Ramanauja lived amidst
> > luxuries. There had been instances of realised persons who had
> > elephants, horses, all royal paraphernalia without being
affected
> in
> > the least by these external objects. They had always Jnana
> Nishtha
> > (one who is established in the Knowledge of Brahman) and
Svarupa
> > Sthiti (the natural state) amidst multifarious activities. This
> is
> > integral development. This is the gist of the Bhagavad-Gita."
This
> is
> > the central teaching of Lord Krishna.
> >
> > What is wanted is mental nudity. Jnana is purely an internal
> state.
> > The external marks are no sure criterion.
> >
> > The ways of a Jnani are mysterious. Only a Jivammukta can know

> > Jivanmukta. The description given of a Jnani in the Bhagavad-
Gita
> and
> > various other books is quite inadequate, incomplete, and
> imperfect.
> > His state can never be imagined by the limited mind and can
never
> be
> > described by the finite speech. He shines in his own pristine
> glory.
> >
> > He will sometimes appear like a Sarvajna, all-knower. He will
> > sometimes appear like an Ajnani, ignorant man. He knows when to
> act
> > like a Brahmanishtha (one who is established in the Knowledge
of
> > Brahman), and when to behave like a fool. Do not judge him. If
> you
> > approach him with the proper Bhava (feeling), with faith,
> devotion,
> > and spiritual thirst, he will impart the highest knowledge to
you.
> If
> > you approach him with a bad motive, he will behave like a mad
> man,
> > and you will be deceived. Great will be your loss then.
> >
> > A BLESSING TO THE WORLD
> >
> > A Jivanmukta is a sustainer of the world. He is a source of
> perpetual
> > inspiration. He is an embodiment through which divine grace is
> > transmitted to the unregenerated men.
> >
> > Like flowers that bloom to scent and purify the air around,
great
> > souls like Sadasiva Brahman, Yajnavalkya, spring up in the world
> > gladden men's heart and to lead them to immortality and
perfection.

> > The Jivanmukta is a power-house of spiritual energy. He radiates
> his
> > spiritual currents to the different comers of the world. Sit
> before
> > him. Your doubts will be cleared by themselves. You will feel a
> > peculiar thrill of joy and peace in his presence.
> >
> > The Jivanmukta, like unto holy waters, purifies others by mere
> sight,
> > touch, and the utterance of his name. Sometimes he remains
> unnoticed.
> > Sometimes he becomes known to those who desire welfare. He eats
> food
> > offered to him by pious devotees and burns up their past and
> future
> > evils or impurities.
> >
> > A Jivanmukta or a saint is the ultimate source of Knowledge of
> the
> > soul. Satsang with a Jivanmukta even for a minute is much better
> than
> > rulership of a kingdom. His very presence is thrilling and
> inspiring.
> > Seek his company and evolve. Serve him with faith and devotion.
> >
> > THE SAGE LIVES FOR EVER
> >
> > The sage lives for ever. He has attained life everlasting.
> Cravings
> > torture him not. Sins stain him not. Birth and death touch him
> not.
> > Pains and tribulations torment him not.
> >
> > A Jivanmukta may give up his body in any place, at any time.
Just
> as
> > the falling leaves and fruits of a tree will not affect the
tree
> > itself, so also, the dropping of the body will not affect the
> Atman,
> > which survives like the tree. His Pranas do not depart elsewhere
> for
> > transmigration. They are absorbed in Brahman after the
exhaustion