http://tinyurl.com/hbz2e

http://www.macleans.ca

Maclean's
June 5, 2006
THE RITALIN WAR
MAIL BAG

THANKS VERY MUCH for presenting an interesting article on the war
against the "legal" drugging of school kids. First off, I do not
share the opinion that all drugs are bad and that we should never use
any drug. However, to use mind-altering drugs on schoolchildren is
quite another matter. When one really looks into this issue of
attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, one finds that there is no
real medical evidence that this disease actually exists. What we do
have is a label put on kids who don't sit still and do their
homework. Has this changed over the past 100 years? Hardly! Now add a
poor diet and sugary soft drinks. Why would we take for granted the
opinion from some person in a white coat, advocating putting our kids
on drugs rather than feeding them better? Simple. We've been
bamboozled into believing that control of our kids is just a pill
away.
Dr. Joel Parker, Vancouver

DANYLO HAWALESHKA'S article about Danielle Lavigueur and her son
Gabriel ("A new war over Ritalin," Health, May 15) has more to do
with how controversial Scientology is than with how dangerous Ritalin
is. As a father of three and a man who is concerned about the future
of our kids, I have talked with thousands of parents about the very
same thing this article should be focused on -- the over-drugging of
our kids with these dangerous psychotropic drugs and the coercion
used to make the kids take them. I have met parents and relatives of
suicide victims using these dangerous drugs, and countless others who
have experienced severe side effects, including permanent brain
damage. Nobody cared what my religion was and I didn't care what
their religion was. All I cared about was that parents were getting
educated about the truth of what these drugs do to their kids.
Tom Beattie, Fredericksburg, Va.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM