Hello Dear ones,
I am here in Nashville as part of a team of 3 (myself, son Will and
Happy Burbeck) taking care of Elizabeth Walker.  We are now almost 3
days away from discharge from Vanderbilt and 10 days from the
accident.

Eager to get out of the difficult situation at the Vanderbilt burn
unit where she was moved after initally being in the trauma
unit/SICU, we had a medical support service move her by ambulance to
the motel as soon as they  would let us go.  Personally, I feel she
should have been on an orthopedic  unit for at least 2 weeks.....but
that is the reality of modern mega-medicine that is run by insurance
companies.   The trauma care she got as far as surgery goes was
first rate.  However, the nursing care at Vanderbilt was sketchy at
best...very depending on who we got on any given shift.  Lousy pain
control monitoring, pmuch oor technique  for basic patient cares and
unforgiveably bad communication patterns made for a very trying and
tiring experience.  Of course, there were a few, including a long
time aide, that were stellar.  But as a result, Will and  I played
advocate for her constantly or else she simply would have
disappeared on that floor filled w/ very critically injured people.
It is a sobering environment.  People were dying around us.  Uff da.

So.  About Elizabeth. Elizabeth requires help for every basic
mobility activity as her pelvis is broken is about 4 places (mostly
on the right side) and she has a lumber 5 fracture as well.  She is
still very bruised although these are resolving nicely and has some
dandy cuts that are sutured shut in some EXTREMELY delicate
places.   She is not able to bare any weight on the right leg, but
is gaining greater mobility and range of motion w/ each day.  She is
still, however, largely bed bound.

Today (Sat the 24th) was a special day as we were able to 'hook up'
with Anna and Skye's wedding....we all cried w/ happiness and, yes,
regret about not being able to be their in person for this wonderful
event.  But other than missing the 'grand finale kiss' we really
enjoyed be able to participate via the miracle of cyberspace.

Given the severity of her injuries, she is doing really well.
Overall her spirits are good, but she has never been left alone for
any amount of time....especially by Prince Will.   She requires
pretty much round the clock care, with some gaps at night and in the
day when she sleeps....then so do we.  As there are 3 of us, we are
getting into kind of a routine w/ one person taking over w/
Elizabeth so others can rest, do errands ( of which there are many),
and otherwise take more of a backseat.  We seem to be a good team.
Everyone so far has been in good humor and keeping Miss E in the
focus of our concern and energies as she gains in strength and
courage.

We are comfortably ensconced in a Residence Inn by Marriott...and
they have been wonderful in their care and support of Elizabeth's
unique needs...not the least being allowing us to move in a hospital
bed into her little studio room.  Too bad hospitals don't run w/
more of this service in mind!!  We  are able to cook right here in
our rooms,  watch the world of Nashville cruise by (there is an
antique car rally going on so there are unbelieveably wild cars
driving everywhere...quite entertaining) and enjoy the grove of
trees that harbor singing birds out our door.  And the Southerners
have been, on the whole, very charming and sweet to us.

Time is definitely 'out of joint' as it feels like we have been
doing this forever!  But its the best sort of work and it is so good
to see her getting more stable both physically and emotionally.  We
are letting time and care work their magic as she gets stronger....I
think we might be able to move her safely in about 5-6 days barring
any problems.   I do hope it  is not longer for all kinds of
reasons.  The  most  obvious one being the power of home to heal!!
Especially in the rarified world of Fairfield.

Please send this on to parties that might be interested.

Thank you for your prayers and attention and assistance toward
Elizabeth and her family.  It is a real gift that they are all going
to be all right after some time to mend.  It is a joy and honor to
be part of that process as it would seem that in helping others, we
are healed.

All gratitude and blessings,  Jennifer