I'm a little out of touch as to new films to
recommend for your summer viewing, but if you
haven't seen an older one called 'The Advocate,'
you've missed out. I'm watching for the seventh
or eighth time tonight, so it's on my mind.

The Advocate is one of those great films that
sadly never found an audience. Renaming the
film 'The Hour of the Pig' in an attempt to
rerelease it didn't help. :-) But it's a
wonderful tale, based on the real life of a
lawyer in France who went on to become the
most famous jurist of his time. During the
period covered by this film, he's a bright,
rational man who has become bored with the
high life of Paris and 'retires' to the
south of France. He thinks that there he can
have a quiet life and relax. What, after all,
could be so hard about being the public
defender of a small village, circa 1450?

Well, his first client is a peasant accused
of murder, his second is a woman accused of
witchcraft. And his third is a pig, accused
of murder.

Suffice it to say it just gets better from
there, creating a film full of wit and great
performances. The lawyer is played by the
always-great Colin Firth, who interacts with
a priest-ahead-of-his-time, played by the
equally-reliable Ian Holm. Throw in a couple
of nemeses played by the likes of Donald
Pleasance and Nicol Williamson, and you've
got yourself quite a murder mystery indeed.

Babe alert for Shemp -- Amina Annabi. Not
to be missed...