--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> > Why are people assuming that a "non-dual state" would
> > have a brain wave pattern of nothing? Seems to be very
> > concrete thinking.
>

> Two eeg feeds seems to be a joke. It seems plausible that some areas
> quiet down and other areas are enlivened. Which as I recall, the
> research generally indicates. (Though the research seems focussed on
> "dual state" compared to multiplicity state (monkey mind),  and not on
> "non-dual states".
>
> No brain activity in all brain areas? I used to think that what "pure
> yogis" did. Seems less plausible now. No brain blood flow? No oxygen
> to brain cells? Total brain shutdown? (No wonder some alleged non-dual
> statists sound so simplistic and mush-brained. :))
>
> But no physiological basis for higher states, (that is, physiology has
> correlation with, not causation of higher states) appears to be your
> view (Peter). So I would imagine total brain shutdown is not
> inconsistant with that view.
>
> I vote for the "clear glow" model of brain activity.

The most recent issue of Scientific American MIND has an article on the
significance of
electrical activity in the brain: http://tinyurl.com/hlc6p

Some info from the article that seems relevant to this discussion: Even if you
could kill or
"paralize" all the nerve cells in the brain so that none of them could
communicate with
each other, there would still be some level of electrical communication between
the
neurons due to, basically, induction. Even if you could somehow remove all the
neurons of
the brain without otherwise killing the rest of teh cells, there would still be
some level of
electrical activity of the brain because the glial cells, the "white matter" of
the brain, ALSO
communicate with other glial cells, at slower speeds than neuurons.

Finally, something that is quite exciting from a TM perspective; the most
consistent
difference found between "lower" and "higher" animals' brains isn't size or
complexity, but
the degree of low-frequency (alpha) coherence they show.