In a message dated 7/1/06 12:01:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

There are certain "English" names you almost never see used in America
but that the Brits use, kinda like names African-Americans give their
children that you would never see in other communities (Shaniqua,
Shaquille, Daneesha, etc.).

Some examples:

Giles
Nigel
Clive

I knew an English initiator named Clive Richardson. The last I heard , he was teaching in South Africa. However, these English names you mention are very traditional and have been used for generations. The African/ American names, I think, are relatively knew, since the sixties. They are meant to sound anything but English and hopefully sound African. I have heard African/ Americans that are moving up refer to them as *ghetto* names.
__._,_.___

Religion and spirituality Buddha shakyamuni Maharishi mahesh yogi

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

__,_._,___
--- Begin Message ---

There are certain "English" names you almost never see used in America
but that the Brits use, kinda like names African-Americans give their
children that you would never see in other communities (Shaniqua,
Shaquille, Daneesha, etc.).

Some examples:

Giles
Nigel