> I must weigh in on the side of Now being better...because it is
> Now.
>
> Also the fact that Barry can ask 1000+ people this question
> simultaneously without thinking twice about it, is a huge
> transformation from the Big Three TV channels, a local newspaper
> and wired phone service we had in the 70's.

But with less actual information on them.

> I often think that these days seem worse to many of us simply
> because there are no more closed doors to what we can be aware
> of, on a social, regional, national, and global basis.

I disagree. What you have today is the "appearance"
of openness in the media, but with content that is
often fictional. The public has lost its ability to
determine truth from fiction; if it's on the six
o'clock News, the majority of them assume it's true.

Things are better Now only because it's Now, not
because the world offers us more than it did in the
70s.