> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> <shempmcgurk@>
> > > wrote:
> <snip>

> > > None of us here has anything remotely approaching the
> > > expertise to address "the reality or unreality" of what
> > > either he or Al Gore has said, of course.  The only
> > > possible way for the layperson to evaluate the various
> > > claims is to determine cui bono, who benefits from
> > > promoting which point of view.
> >
> > ...but that wasn't your position with Michael Creighten, Judy.
> >
> > A multimillionaire many, many times over, Creighten has
absolutely
> > NOTHING to gain from opposing global warming hype...indeed, he
> > probably LOSES money by talking about it.
>
> Well, actually he has most likely MADE money from the
> sales of "State of Fear."
>
> But with an apparently independent nonexpert, such as
> Crichton or Al Gore, we evaluate their views by what
> the independent experts have to say about those views.

...yet when I publish those views, you find some other way to
diminish their credibility, such as "oh, they get money from oil
companies.

That's why I keep coming back to: okay, then let's just stick to the
facts these people bring out and not the reputations or where they
get the money from.

> > No, your position with Creighten -- an MD, Harvard graduate and
> > recognized as a scientist by most credible people -- was that he
> > wasn't a scientist, so we had to ignore him.
>
> Crichton is most certainly *not* a scientist, and
> most "credible people" recognize that; he admits it
> himself.  You're well aware of this, since we went
> over it in some detail on alt.m.t awhile back.  An
> MD degree obtained, what, 35 years ago (even if he
> had actually used it), plus a BA degree from Harvard,
> do not qualify him as a climate scientist.  <duh>

...it's a heck of alot more than Gore has, yet you harp on it
without harping on Gore's lack of qualifications.

> The bio on his own Web site begins:
>
> "After graduating from the Harvard Medical School, Michael
Crichton
> embarked on a career as a writer and filmmaker."
>
> http://www.crichton-official.com/aboutmc/biography.html
>
> That pretty much says it all.
>
> But I never said we had to "ignore" him, any more than
> we have to "ignore" Al Gore because he isn't a
> scientist.  To the contrary, unlike you, I went to the
> trouble to look up what independent expert climatologists
> had to say about Crichton's views.

"independent expert climatologists"...and I'm sure if we were to
look at their agendas or who pays them we'll find something to hang
on them.

The bottom line, Judy, is if you truly believe global warming is the
crisis that it is, you will have to be consistent in your personal
life and stop driving cars and taking planes and doing any activity
that adds to global warming.

Are you ready to do that?

> They tore him apart:
>
> http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=74
>
> But they support Al Gore's views:
>
> http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/05/al-gores-
> movie/#more-299
> http://tinyurl.com/gke7d
>
> > And with the Oregon Petition -- that list signed by about 18,000
> > scientists opposing the claims about global warming -- well,
hey,
> > they don't have anything to gain by opposing global warming, do
> > they?
>
> Actually we have no idea.  We'd have to look at each one.
>
> > And yet you found some other reason to dismiss them.
>
> Right.  Here's a good summary from Wikipedia:
>
> Text
>
> The principal text of the petition reads:
>
> "We urge the United States government to reject the global warming
> agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December, 1997, and
any
> other similar proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases
> would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and
> technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind.
>
> "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of
> carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or
> will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the
> Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate.
Moreover,
> there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in
> atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon
the
> natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."
>
> The text also states, "Indeed, over the past two decades, when CO2
> levels have been at their highest, global average temperatures
have
> actually cooled slightly." This was based on comparison of
satellite
> and balloon data from 1979-99. At the time, this was not true: the
> data showed warming (+0.058 °C/decade). Since then the satellite
> record has been revised, and shows even more warming. See
historical
> temperature record and satellite temperature measurements [link].
>
> Criticism
>
> The petition and its covering letter have been criticised [1].
>
> The text of the petition is often misrepresented by its proponents
> as, for example, "over 17,000 scientists declare that global
warming
> is a lie with no scientific basis" [2] whereas the petition itself
> only speaks of catastrophic warming. Further, the covering letter,
> written in the style of a contribution to PNAS [Proceedings of the
> National Academy of Sciences], sent with the petition was strongly
> criticised as "designed to be deceptive by giving people the
> impression that the article, which is full of half-truths, is a
> reprint and has passed peer review," (Raymond Pierrehumbert,
> atmospheric chemist at the University of Chicago). The National
> Academy of Sciences issued a statement that the petition had
nothing
> to do with them.
>
> As with the Leipzig declaration, the qualifications of the
> signatories, and their agreement with the stated contents have
been
> questioned. The Scientific American took a sample of signatories
and
> reported:
>
> "Scientific American took a random sample of 30 of the 1,400
> signatories claiming to hold a Ph.D. in a climate-related science.
Of
> the 26 we were able to identify in various databases, 11 said they
> still agreed with the petition—one was an active climate
researcher,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM