On Jul 22, 2006, at 9:03 AM, authfriend wrote:

We can even leave "only" out of the picture here in

terms of what's at issue and stipulate that it's

possible there *is* some other technique that is

as effortless as TM.  But if so, it isn't the

techniques Dana is talking about.

Kind of a moot point since we've long ago debunked the idea that TM is effortless and actually have the words of Mahesh on this where he indicates it does take effort.

There are a number of reasons for TM requiring effort, most significant is that it uses "patched placement", that is when you fail to transcend continuously, you have to patch that failure (or "break") by returning to the mantra. Of course it is helpful to know experientially what effortless meditation is, it is meditation without any object whatsoever. If you need an object to find some inward stroke, there's effort involved, period. It's a natural consequence of all dualistic meditation methods, ones that require you to close eyes and turn towards an object in order to merge with that object and transcend something.