> >> Well that's only partly the case. The fact is, in the Patanjali
oral
> >> and written tradition, which does still exist, it's stated that
there
> >> are actually *two* sutras for true "flying"/hovering--and in the
TM-
> >> Sidhi formulae you are only given *one*. In addition, there are
other
> >> practices and techniques that must be mastered. One is bringing a
> >> certain form of prana into the head/skull. Unfortunately this is
the
> >> same prana that underlies thought processes. Screw this
technique up
> >> and you go, well, insane.
> >>
> >> This has all been verified by other TM-Sidhi practitioners from
the
> >> successor of Tat Whale Baba, who also indicated the other missing
> >> elements in the TM-Sidhi program. They are very significant IMO.
> >>
> >> The hopping artifact is well known in yogic literature as the
> >> bhuchari siddhi--the siddhi of hopping like a frog. It happens
when
> >> prana kundalini is stimulated at the level of the root
(muladhara)
> >> chakra....It can be achieved by mere pranayama. It's no big deal.
> >>
> >> But it *is* a big sell, or used to be.
> >>

> > Heh. Yogananda claims that levitation itself can be obtained by
> > "mere pranayama." MMY
> > claims that "mere pranayama" can bring one to enlightenment.
> >
> > What's so mere about it?
>
> Can you provide quotes for both? The yogic tradition is pretty
clear
> on what pranayama should do for us: it clears out the nadis. The
> fourth pranayama--which may be what you're referring to is
essential
> for both the development of siddhis and samadhi a la Patanjali--
but
> this is not generally what people mean when they use the word
> "pranayama".
>
> You sure yogananda wasn't referring to kriya-yoga rather than just
> pranayama?

There is a powerful pranayama, which I learded a while back, from
someone who claimed, that this most powerful form of pranayama, was
not traditionally taught by Yogananda, because of it's effect of
increasing the Kundalini, which is not good when you are attempting
to be celibate.
It is called Babaji's Kriya Kundalini Prananyam; and comes from the
same tradition, mentioned in 'Autobiography of a Yogi', Yogananda's
tradition.
Kriya, I believe has to do with enlivening the 'Kriya's' or like when
you feel in the 'flying sutra' ; shaking, or other intense energies.
So, I myself, think that the ability to actually levitate, would
require some very intense 'Kriyas', or intense energies of Kundalini;
So, you could experience 'Kriyas', during any experience which you
feel a surge of engery, or Kundalini rising.
This can be accomplished in many ways.
Group meditation is a very powerful way to increase the intensity, or
everyone's experience;
Which is why Maharishi has concentrated so much of the effect, on
group participation.
These days, though, it's really hard to get a group together, of any
magnatude;
I always wondered what it would be like, if TM had the numbers
meditating together;
Even a small fraction of  the numbers of persons belonging to one of
the world's religions: The billions of people around the world, and
throughout time, have created the ignorant world we live in.
With all of thier prayers and dogmas, what have any of they
accomplished? besides nice buildings and some nice books?
We still live in a world filled with violence, so what good, if any
good have all of these religions had on the world;
Seems to me, much of the time, the religions have created more bad
than good, more violence, than peace.
 How hard it is to get a group together;
Can you imagine the effect of a really large group?
 These other major groups who have basically produced nothing to
change the world....