Note: forwarded message attached.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

__,_._,___
--- Begin Message ---
Title: Snow Lion Publications Newsletter

Dharma Quote of the Week

In the Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path Je Tsongkhapa says that when we are training ourselves in any of the perfections, for instance in generosity, we should make sure that we practice all the other five perfections--in this case ethical discipline, patience, enthusiastic effort, concentration, and wisdom--and the six excellent factors. When we perform a generous action, ethical discipline will be included if we take care to refrain from doing anything unethical at the same time. In certain situations, for instance, we may be tempted to speak harshly or condescendingly as we give.

Generosity gives rise to abundance, and by insuring that our practice is complete, we create the right environment to use these resources constructively. Sometimes when we give, people respond ungratefully. If we can resist getting upset, we are practicing patience. Giving not out of a sense of obligation or reluctantly nor with a wish to outdo others but with joy is the practice of enthusiastic effort. Directing our full attention to an act of generosity is concentration. Discerning and understanding what is appropriate to give and what is not, and remembering that the giver, the act of generosity, and the recipient are all interdependent and empty of inherent existence are the practice of wisdom. Including these different factors in our actions will bring many excellent results such as a good body and mind, the resources we need, a pleasant appearance, supportive companions, the ability to complete what we undertake, and the focus not to be distracted by the disturbing emotions and so forth. This is how to insure that we will enjoy many conducive conditions in a future human life. On the other hand, our miserliness or impatience now could make us face many difficult circumstances in the future.

--from How Karma Works: The Twelve Links of Dependent Arising by Geshe Sonam Rinchen, translated by Ruth Sonam, published by Snow Lion Publications

*     *     *     *     *     *

For a complete list of special dates of the Tibetan year, inauspicious days to raise new prayer flags, and more, visit the Tibetan Calendar on line.

(From the 2006-2007 Rigpa Calendar)

SNOW LION PUBLICATIONS is dedicated to the preservation of Tibetan Buddhism and culture by publishing books about this great tradition. Tibetan culture is seriously endangered in its homeland and is striving to continue outside of Tibet. To support this effort, in addition to publishing and distributing books, Snow Lion offers a wide range of dharma items, purchased primarily from Tibetans in exile. These include visual art and ritual objects, statues and thangkas, videos, traditional music, and many gift items offered through our webstore and newsletter--over 2000 items--the largest selection anywhere. To browse the complete list go to www.snowlionpub.com and select any of the categories in left-hand margin.

When you choose to purchase from Snow Lion you are directly supporting the large effort to publish more Buddhist texts and help the Tibetan people.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

HOW KARMA WORKS:
The Twelve Links of Dependent Arising

by Geshe Sonam Rinchen
translated by Ruth Sonam

more...

Contact Us:

N. America:  (800) 950-0313
Worldwide:  (607) 273-8519
By Mail:  PO Box 6483, Ithaca, NY
        14851 USA

By Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Items Available Online:

Sign Up:

Receive Snow Lion's Weekly Quotes and Quarterly E-newsletter at the

List Management Center.

Snow Lion Publications is happy to send you a weekly quote from various Tibetan Buddhist teachers.

Visit our website for these related items:

HOME | CATALOG | HOW TO ORDER | CONTACT US | PRIVACY & POLICIES | SITE MAP | UNSUBSCRIBE

Snow Lion Publications
PO Box 6483
Ithaca NY 14851-6483
Telephone: 800-950-0313 or 607-273-8519