I sympathise with Vaj on this issue.

There is something kinda creepy & oppressive about having to call
someone a 'Maharishi' if one doesn't think he is one, or 'His
Holiness', or even 'Yogi' (remember that MMY had to get someone else
to put together the simple yogasana exercises that were introduced
back in the mid-sixties). So one is left either to use the generally
accepted 'The Maharishi' (regardless of why this term came to be used
by the press back in the sixties). It is a bit unwieldy to use the
name Balbrahmachari Shri Maheshji by which he is credited on an
edition of 'Amrit Kana' (his compilation of Guru Dev's quotations).

Personally, I think MMY created the problem himself when he
appropriated such a grand sounding name. It was suggested that the
probably reason he did this was;'the name Maharishi is something to
replace "Swami," because in India things are such that if the
name "Swami" is missing, then people would suspect something is
wrong.' - Osho World Online Magazine, June 2004 (towards the end of
section #48 of:-
http://www.oshoworld.com/onlinemag/june2004/htm/glimpses.asp

But 'a rose is a rose by any other name', (or as John Lennon pointed
out after someone had nose surgery, 'A nose is a nose by any other..'

http://us.click.yahoo.com/zAINmC/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM