--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Looks like John Lennon went slightly mad after India,
> don't ya think?

Actually, I don't. I think he went sane.

His path after that -- heavy, hang-ten-on-the-ragged-
edge-of-emotionality psychotherapy, after a spate of
experimentation with bad drugs -- is not my path, but
at least he found a path *on his own* that appealed
to him because it *was* his own. In one sense, John's
path after Rishikesh was very Zen. Rather than *avoid*
the present and its pain, John chose to *feel* it, to
let it out (in theory, anyway) through his songs and
his therapy. I don't personally believe in the validity
of this type of therapy, but I respect John's decision
to pursue it.

Old Hare Krishna got nothing on you
Just keep you crazy with nothing to do
Keep you occupied with pie in the sky
There ain't no guru who can see thru your eyes
I found out

I been through junkies, I been through it all
I've seen religion from Jesus to Paul
Don't let them fool you with dope and cocaine
Can't do you no harm to feel your own pain
I found out

I get a little tired of people saying that John "went
crazy" in Rishikesh, or that he was "just unstressing."
That's the TM Party Line, what people have been *taught*
to say when any high-profile TMer moves on. They say
it about John and the Beatles, about Chopra, about SSRS,
about all the skin boys who have left, and they say it
about people here on FFL. What they're saying, in every
case, is that these people *failed* because they are not
still "sold out to" Maharishi; there is something *wrong*
with them, almost by definition.

*To* say this indicates to me an implicit belief in "them
vs. us," and a corollary belief that "us" is always better.
"Sane" is defined as "on the program" or "loyal" to MMY,
doing exactly what he says. "Insane" is defined as doing
something -- anything -- else. At this point in my life,
I suspect *that* position is more than a little crazy.

And the most fascinating thing is that with one exception
so far on this group, *none* of the people who talk this
way are actually "on the program" or doing what Maharishi
says to do. Have they signed up for the course? Have they
taken advantage of the scholarships to do so? I think that
Mr. Leeds is to be praised; he's actually putting his time
and his money and his butt (to bounce with) where his
mouth is. ( There's something essentially wrong with that
image of putting one's butt where one's mouth is, but I'm
typing fast and can't think of another metaphor right now :-)
I suspect that some of the lurkers are doing the same thing.
They still believe, and they *act* on those beliefs. Them
I consider sane, and to be admired.

But those who claim to believe in TM and the ME and who sit
on their butts typing "Anti-TMer" or "crazy" or "drunk" into
cyberspace instead of bouncing on them? Give me a break.