--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
> <j_alexander_stanley@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "suziezuzie" <msilver1951@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent
> > > Thu Jul 27, 2:34 PM ET
> > >

> > > WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who ate a low-fat vegan diet,
> > > cutting out all meat and dairy, lowered their blood sugar
> > > more and lost more weight than people on a standard American
> > > Diabetes Association diet, researchers said on Thursday.
> >

> > They should be more specific about that vegan diet because vegan
> just
> > means no animal products, and that can include a lot of fattening
> > foods. I know some obese vegans who eat few vegetables and mostly
> > grain, beans, potatoes, and other starchy foods. In my own case, I
> > lost 30 pounds and improved my blood sugar levels by switching to
> > a less vegetarian diet.
>
> This does not sound too likely (referring to your observation about
> obese vegans) -- maybe obese people who just switched to a vegan
> diet are still obese for some time, but it's just not a diet that
> lends itself to obesity. You would have to eat such massive
> quantities of food to remain obese on a vegan diet that it's just
> implausible -- although I guess if somebody drank corn oil by the
> quart, they could stay fat.

It's the quality of the carbohydrates, most
likely, that makes the difference.  High-glycemic
carbohydrates (such as in grains and potatoes and
some veggies, like peas and carrots, and refined
sugar, of course) can trigger something called
metabolic syndrome in some people, which can result
in weight gain.  (Beans should be OK; they're
relatively low-glycemic.)

And actually, substituting calories from un- or
monounsaturated fat (olive oil in particular)
for calories from high-glycemic carbohydrates
could bring about weight loss.

It's all a delicate balance, and it's not very
well understood yet.  But high-glycemic
carbohydrates are coming under increasing
scrutiny as the culprits in a host of disease
states and generally unhealthy conditions.

>  Possibly some people you have met who are claiming to be vegan are
> only part-time vegans who frequently cheat on ice-cream binges. I
> have met many, many people, who when they find out I'm a
vegetarian,