In a message dated 7/30/06 6:03:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
One small example, but a way in which the US can still move in the
> direction of peace while realistically protecting our interests.
>
> These ideas of "I can kick your ass before you kick mine" and "I can
> kick your ass so hard, you'll never get back at me" are the most
> short-sighted and foolish and damaging policies. Anyone pursuing
> such ideas in the government should be removed from office
> immediately! Such stupid and dull thinking.

Actually, a strong country should have that as a given, but be so self-confidant that it
never needs to be spoken of. That the Bush Administration appears to make it the heart of
their diplomatic strategy is a Very Bad Thing.
The Bush administration asked the European community to handle the situation and negotiations with Iran. They became frustrated with the lack of progress and insisted the US become more involved. Bush has said all along that there will be a negotiated settlement. The only thing Bush has said in regards to force is that military options are not off the table but are a last resort. And I would bet that was the reason the Europeans asked for US involvement in the talks.