> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
<snip>
> > Remember Kerry's comments about Mary Cheney in
> > the  debates? Do you think Kerry was really concerned for Mary
> > Cheney or was hoping he might embarrass the Cheney's on national
> > TV for having a lesbian daughter.
>
> He intended to embarrass Cheney for the Bush
> administration's stance on gay marriage,
> actually.  His concern was for gay rights in
> general.

To be fair, I should add that Cheney himself had
publicly mentioned more than once that Mary was
gay.  And she was on his campaign staff, one of
his most trusted aides, according to him.  He is
on record as favoring leaving decisions about gay
marriage to the states, as opposed to the Bush
policy of a constitutional amendment forbidding it.

He isn't exactly an activist, but he's obviously
not a homophobe or a hypocrite on that issue--
except in the general sense that he supports a
party that does not support gay rights and that
tends to be very homophobic.