--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't figure out why everybody (everybody?) is
> > > getting their panties in a bunch over this. If the TMO
> > > thinks that someone is not doing the official TM
> > > program in the dome they don't want them to be there.
> > > Is that what people are freaking over or am I missing
> > > something?
> > >

> > ************
> >
> > I think Rick is saying that the diksha thing does not apply
during
> > meditation time, but is a laying on of hands thing that is used
> post-
> > meditation, so it would be funny for National to justify banning
> > somebody from the dome because they would not be doing TM during
> their
> > dome time.
> >
> > It's a bogus issue to me either way, because if TMers are
supposed
> > be producing such a powerful influence of coherence, then a few
> people
> > not on the same wavelength would be insignificant, just the like
> the
> > many sleepers or drowsy people in the dome are not an important
> > influence one way or the other.
> >
> > I remember when I used to do group meditation at the TM center
on
> > campus, many of the Chinese and Indian students who did not
> practice
> > TM were nevertheless required to attend the twice daily
sessions,
> and
> > some of them would listen to radios, most would sleep. Didn't
make
> any
> > difference to me, although I thought it was stupid to require
> people
> > to show up for something they had no interest in.
> >

> How and why would students be at MIU and NOT be meditators?  I'm
> confused...

****************

MIU used to give students from poor countries free-ride
scholarships, and many students who had zero chance of getting a
college education otherwise, took MIU up on their free ride offer.
Many of those foreign students displayed no interest in TM, but
there were also a few American students whose parents had sent them
to MIU because the parents were strong meditators and/or the kid had
a drug/behavior problem and they were hoping to sort him out, but
the kid had no interest in TM.

MUM no longer hands out free-ride scholarships, as they discovered
that foreign computer science students who come here to get a
master's degree could work at full pay in the US for a couple years
without a big visa hassle for them or employers, giving them the
money to pay MUM's full tuition ($25K --
http://www.mum.edu/compro/fafaqs.html ), which has put MUM on a very
good financial footing, since it only pays low volunteer-wage rates,
even to faculty. In order to cut down on the number of computer
science students who have zero interest in TM, students from Nepal
and Ethiopia are required to practice TM for six months before being
accepted into the master's program:

http://www.mum.edu/compro/steps.html

Whether this cuts down on the percentage of students who are only
playing along with MUM, pretending to do TM, I'm not sure. Probably
not, as there a lot of students in these poor countries who will do
or say anything to get into the US and work at our pay scales, while
taking a master's degree and current work experience at US
corporations back to their home countries.