> I found this view of the Gibson affair -- quite different from the
> Hitchens one -- that also makes a very good point.
>

> This is an excerpt of the full piece found at birdofparadise.blog
>
> Don't Forget that Mel Gibson Was Drunk
> Mel Gibson was arrested for drunk driving the other day. The police
> who arrested him described his uncooperative behavior, his repeated
> use of the "f**k" word and his making several clearly anti-Semitic
> statements.
>
> Apparently, this somehow "proves" that Mel Gibson is an anti-Semite.
>
> No it doesn't. All it proves is that Mel Gibson was drunk.
>
> If (let's imagine) that Mel Gibson's outburst is proof of his anti-
> semitism then the circumstances of his arrest would also prove
> that . . .
>
> --Mel Gibson is an advocate of expressing anger in public places;
> that
> --Mel Gibson believes that it is good and right to resist arrest;
> that
> --Mel Gibson feels that it is OK to drive while intoxicated; that
> --Mel Gibson, deep, deep down, approves of resisting police officer.
>
> No one in their right mind would draw these conclusions about Mel
> Gibson from his behavior and actions the night of his arrest.

The logic of this excerpt out of context is
a bit, well, strained.  But the guy goes on
to extend the point in a way that makes a lot
more sense:

I don't know about you but, in my experience, "drunken behavior"
rarely reveals deep truths about anyone. On the contrary, alcohol
removes the self-imposed disciplines of self-control that keep the
inner "raging beast" (that lies within most of us) under wraps.

Drunks do and say things they would never, ever, ever say or do when
they are sober. They sincerely regret those words and behaviors
afterwards.

I am not suggesting that Gibson's drunken comments were not
offensive. They were both offensive and disgusting.

But what we saw with Mel Gibson was not Dr. Jeckyll but Mr.
Hyde . . . not Robert Bruce Banner but The Hulk.

Which is the real Mel Gibson? Well, I would have to say that the real
Mel Gibson is the person that, in his heart, he truly desires to be.

We all know the stories of Mel's father's anti-semitism. Clearly the
son grew up with this along with all the anger that accompanies such
beliefs.

Such upbringing stays with us the rest of our lives. We cannot purge
ourselves of it but we can tame it, subdue it and hope that it
remains dead and buried and beyond recall.

When our inhibitions are diminished through alcohol, rage, stress or
impatience those things we had hoped were "dead and buried" find ways
to express themselves completely against our will and against our own
moral values.

Read more:
http://tbirdofparadise.blogspot.com/

I think he's wrong that drunken behavior
doesn't reveal "deep truths"; the deep
truths in this case would be that despite
his best efforts, Gibson hasn't been able
to eradicate the effects of his upbringing.

The issue is more whether he should be
condemned because he hasn't been able to
eradicate them.

Seems to me as well that his alcoholism
may be at least partially a function of
this conflict, the stress of resisting
his father's influence and becoming his
own person.

To have a father you love deeply but who
holds views that you (along with society in
general) consider unacceptable, to be a very
public person, and to have a physiological
tendency toward alcoholism is a really tough
combination to deal with.

I hope he gets some really, really good
therapy.