--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All interesting stuff.
>
> But it leads to the question: is this quieting (shut-down may be too
> extreme a pharase) of the thalmus ever seen outside of TM?

My phrasing for sure. Ithink Fred says something more like "reduced activation"
or
something... "less active."

http://www.maharishischooliowa.org/news/media/2006_05_travispaper.html

"the brain, the attentional system, are more awake and active than when one is
just sitting
with one's eyes closed, while the thalamus, which is the gateway of experience,
is less
active."

 That is, is
> it totally unique to TM? I am asking beyond meditation techniques. For
> example, has it ever been observed under influence of pharecuticals,
> herbs, heroin, various illnesses, post-extreme exercise, heavy
> endorphin conditions, traditional or modern medical procedures, some
> sleep patterns, anesthesia, etc.

Dunno. You do see it during sleep. The difference is that when you're asleep,
your brain
isn't alert at all. Would be interesting to see where witnessing sleep comes in
here.

> I am not challenging you or being argumentative. I am sincerely
> curious. Its fascinating to see interesting correlations of physiology
> with TM and other techniques. However, if the same thing happens with
> some other things -- such as brain coherence with epilepsy - it
> provides some sperspective -- and raises a new bundle of research and
> philosophical questions.

The EEG coherence with epilespy is quite different, I understand. A quick
google search on
EEG coherence epilepsy yielded terms like "spikes, sharp waves and spikewave
discharges"
which is different than what the usual meditator EEG looks like, or at least,
the samples
they show the public are quite different. ;-)

A quick check of "epilepsy thalamus" suggests that:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=26883

"We know that the cortex communicates with the thalamus continuously, and
current
theories suggest that when the 'conversation' gets too loud, seizures can
occur," said
Alexander [Georgia, not Alaric]. "We wanted to see if there was a way to calm
the dialog."

This has implications for using TM to *treat* epilepsy, I think.