> Excerpts from an interview at Salon.com with
> Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project,
> about his religious beliefs (he's an evangelical
> Christian), which he discusses in his new book,
> "The Language of God."
>

> ..."The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome," he
> writes. "He can be worshiped in the cathedral or in the
> laboratory."...
>
> S: You've said you were once an "obnoxious atheist." What changed
> you? Why did you turn to religion?
>
> C: I became an atheist because as a graduate student studying
quantum
> physics, life seemed to be reducible to second-order differential
> equations. Mathematics, chemistry and physics had it all. And I
> didn't see any need to go beyond that. Frankly, I was at a point in
> my young life where it was convenient for me to not have to deal
with
> a God. I kind of liked being in charge myself. But then I went to
> medical school, and I watched people who were suffering from
terrible
> diseases. And one of my patients, after telling me about her faith
> and how it supported her through her terrible heart pain, turned to
> me and said, "What about you? What do you believe?" And I stuttered
> and stammered and felt the color rise in my face, and said, "Well,
> don't think I believe in anything." But it suddenly seemed like a
> very thin answer. And that was unsettling. I was a scientist who
was
> supposed to draw conclusions from the evidence and I realized at
that
> moment that I'd never really looked at the evidence for and against
> the possibility of God.

I never realised death-bed conversions were contagious!

Just goes to show how the power of emotion and the fear of death can
create all sorts of ideas, I would say it's our knowledge of death
that gives rise to  beliefs in afterlife, re-incarnation etc.

I would say that after having studied physics the lack of evidence
for should have been obvious. But absence of evidence isn't evidence
of absence as we all know.

> > C: Absolutely. It was as if he was reading my mind. As I read his
> arguments about the Moral Law -- the knowledge of right and wrong,
> which makes no sense from the perspective of basic evolution and
> biology but makes great sense as a signpost to God -- I began to
> realize the truth of what he was saying. Ultimately, I realized I
> couldn't go back to where I was. I could never again say atheism is
> the only logical choice for a scientifically trained person....
>
> S:  You and I have grown up with certain moral lessons. We've been
> told that we should help people. This is the right thing to do.
> Couldn't you argue that doing good and helping people is just part
of
> cultural evolution?
>
> C:  You could argue that, but if it was just a cultural tradition,
> you ought to be able to find some cultures where it is not present.

Too easy, we spent most of our existence evolving these traits in
Africa and then spread out only recently taking this "odd" behaviour
with us. I say "odd" because it isn't really odd at all we are a
group animal that relies on each other for survival and behaviour
that supports the group as a whole is a neccesicity.