Title: Re: Train Noise in Fairfield
Bill, I'm for a solution.
Dick

From: Bill Blackmore <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08/11/06 16:41:32
To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:,"@franklin.lisco.com
Subject: Train Noise in Fairfield

Dear Friends,
I hope you will not mind me emailing you about an issue that I think needs to be revisited by our City Council.  If this does not interest you, simply do not respond or let me know and I'll make sure you don't get anymore emails from me about this matter.  I am sending this to friends and acquaintances that I believe either live or work near the tracks or are likely to support a better and quieter quality of life near the train tracks.

I want to give you the short history of the recent debate about train noise in Fairfield.  (This is 100% about the train whistles or horns, not the train and train tracks themselves).  I think this will be useful, since I didn't know this myself until Mayor Malloy filled me in recently.  A couple of years ago (give or take a little) some local residents asked the City Council to consider a solution that would have allowed trains to pass through Ff. without honking.  There was quite a debate, letters to the Editor, etc., and in the final analysis the Council members decided based on the feedback that they got that the community was opposed to implementing a solution of this sort.  The figure I heard was that calls against a solution ran 5-1 to those in favor.  I have been told in no uncertain terms that because of this, the issue cannot be successfully raised again with the current Council.

So what is the point here?  I don't know this for sure, but I am quite convinced that our Council members did not get all that many calls, although I am sure they got more against than for.  My guess is that those of us who pay more attention to quality of life issues simply got outhustled by someone with a "town vs. gown" axe to grind.  Somebody organized some like-minded individuals, and they made a lot of calls, and the other side didn't.  End of story.

Personally, I do not believe that this issue is so lopsided.  Also, now that our Civic Center is under construction in close proximity to the tracks and slated to open late next year, there is another basis on which to raise the issue of the train noise.  I don't like seeing something that I have wanted to see happen for the entire time I have lived in Ff. get shelved, especially since it was not going to cost taxpayers a dime.  (I believe this is correct, but am in the process of verifying for sure).

What am I asking you to do?  Right now its very simple.  I am making an email list of residents of Ff. who want to see the train whistles silenced once and for all.  To put your name on this list, simply send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (quiet trains).  If you know anyone who you think would support an initiative of this sort, please forward this email to them so they can opt in if they want to do so.  Once this list reaches critical mass, we will unleash a campaign of letters and emails to our City Council members to convince them that the time has come for the train whistles to be silenced.  I don't think this will happen in the next month or so, as timing is critical.  I am finding out what sort of call volume the Council members got last time around, so we will have a basis on which to guage the level of support required.

Thanks for your time and attention.  Regards,  Bill Blackmore