> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0 <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0 <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > Again, well put.  But one wants to be careful not to
> > > throw the baby out with the bathwater.  For example,
> > > is listening to Vedic chanting merely cultural, or do
> > > the sounds actually have an effect on consciousness?
> > >
> > > How do you know where to draw the line?  Sometimes it
> > > seems obvious, but other times it may not be quite so
> > > clear.  And different people, of course, draw the line
> > > in different places, so that line isn't absolute either.
> >
> > All sounds have an effect on consciousness--weed whackers, Bach,
> > Vedic chanting, (c)rap music (the "c" is silent). Go for what feels
> > life-supporting for you. Likewise, if you like wearing saris, fine.
> > But to pretend it's a law of nature that women should wear saris is,
> > IMO, unnecessary.
>
> Yeah, well, that kind of misses my point, which was
> that *some* things that are apparently cultural may
> *also* be "scientific" in that their specific effects
> are universal.  (I wasn't including saris, by the way.)

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't address that because I didn't see that
the point was in contention (although "universal" is a pretty large in
scope). I didn't even think I was suggesting throwing anything out in
the first place, only saying that I don't believe Maharishi is totally
uninfluenced by culture, history, situation in time, and ideology, and
that some of what he does is based on that. I wasn't even saying
that's a bad thing, more that it is unavoidable. Just as Guru Dev was
influenced by his cultural milieu, so is Maharishi.

> And the issue with Vedic chanting, of course, would
> be whether it has a *positive* effect on consciousness.
> (I'm not talking about whether it's enjoyable or
> elevating to listen to aesthetically; I'd vastly
> rather listen to Bach for that.)

That could lead to some interesting discussion about precisely which
recitation--Vedic or or non-Vedic sanskrit, or Buddhist, Chinese,
Japanese, Australian aboriginal, North American native, African
etc.--has which effects for developing consciousness or making life
more in harmony with natural law etc. I have more questions than
answers in that regard. No doubt some of the more scholarly posters
here would have some interesting things to say.

If I have time perhaps I'll start a new thread on that topic.