> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> [...]
> > And the translation refers to the one who was going to the guru as a
> > "guru-bhakt" at least TM teacher / gov. We do, or have, followed a
> > teacher/guru.
> >

> Bhakti means love/worship/etc. Many TM teachers, and most
meditators/sidhas, are NOT in a
> guru-bhkti relationship with MMY, or so I believe.
>
> Unless, of course, the term "bhakti" changes radically when added to
"guru" which doesn't
> seem likely.

I was going by Paul's translation of guru-bhak, "follower". Paul what
was your reasoning/ basis for saying "followeer" and not "devotee".

It occured to me that a full-on bhakti relation might be implied. And
it also occurred me that, in an "indian 1940's context", many if not
most of the regular householder folk, flocking to see SBS once or
twice a year, would be considered guru-bhaks, followers,even "devotees".

Even, and perhaps specifically, the cooks, carpenters, shopkeepers,
policmen etc who saw him infrequently, and many who  never had a
personal audience with him. They may have done guru puja to him every
morning. Thats a "devotee" in my book.Yet not a 24/7 staffer.

I would look to translators, interpretors, cultural historians, and 80
year old hindus  for  clarification. Until then, you will have your
read of it, I will have mine.