> > > You are free to do what you want, of course. But
> > > any filmmaker who could shoot that footage, even
> > > as a throwaway to test color values, is not some-
> > > one who is going to get me to plunk down my 10
> > > Euros to see his movies. Even *Warhol* shot more
> > > interesting footage than that.
> >
> > Just as a contrast, take a look at this
> > ten-minute student film, The Ten Steps:
> >
> > http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/ten_steps
> >
> > As I understand it, this filmmaker is
> > not yet 21 years old, and he's *already*
> > making better films than Lynch has in
> > his entire life.
>

> Pretty good, if not particularly creative or
> original; it all hangs on the gimmick at the
> end.  And too bad he felt he had to rely so
> heavily on "Now you should be scared" music.
>
> I've never seen a Lynch film except for "Fire
> Walk with Me," which was awful.  But some of the
> first-season episodes he directed of "Twin Peaks"
> on TV were just extraordinary.

"The Elephant Man" and "The Straight Story" were Lynch's most
accessible films, mildly successful with critics and the public
http://imdb.com/title/tt0166896/ & http://imdb.com/title/tt0080678/ ,
but he obviously has always preferred to work in the avant garde
space (Eraserhead was his first hit), and that is a choice that
necessarily puts him out of the scope of pop-oriented reviewing.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: