I just learned to say "hi" and "thank you" in the languages of the
different Asian communities I live with.  It totally transforms my
relationships  like a cultural "open seseme". (sometimes I have needed
the phrase "does your brother carry a gun".)

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 9:13 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > At least in the major cities, many if not most of
> > the people you speak to *can* understand and speak
> > English. It's just that unless their income is
> > completely dependent on tips -- and sometimes even
> > when it is -- they WON'T converse with you in English
> > until you first prove your worthiness as a human being.
> >
> > You do this by attempting to speak French, and thus by
> > embarrassing yourself thoroughly in public. Once you've
> > done this and the other French people in the shop or
> > bar or restaurant have had the opportunity to snicker
> > silently at your terrible accent and grammar, the French
> > are more than willing to suddenly rediscover their
> > previously-lapsed language skills and speak English
> > with you. It's a pecking order thang.  :-)
>
>   Actually, I've found that most people appreciate this.  Nobody
expects
> fluency from a tourist, but if you visit another country, and attempt
> to speak even a few phrases, even if you have to look them up in a
> phrase-book right as you're speaking them, people seem to treat you
> differently, as someone who is making an effort, even a small one, to
> understand a part of their culture.  I've never interpreted the
> laughter to be derisive.
>
> Sal

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional