--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Whatever the provenance of the Estes Park quote and whether it
> is referring to effortless thinking of the mantra, Maharishi
> still said what I'm saying he did. Sorry, I can't quote you the
> exact tape but it was one of the ushers on the course who raised
> the point that thoughts just come into his head spontaneously
> and randomly, but the mantra *gets* thought and that seems to be
> a contradiction. MMY laughed and agreed it was a contradiction,
> resloving it in the way I explained.

I'm not challenging that at all, except to say that
after some experience of TM, the mantra no longer
"gets thought" but arises spontaneously, just like
any other thought.

> >  but
> > > Maharishi was quite clear that there is some "doing" in
> > > the thinking/picking up of the mantra and that, yes, this
> > > is a contradictory to the mantra just appearing on its
> > > own. That's why the the instruction to think or pick up
> > > the mantra is qualified by saying "effortlessy" or "as
> > > effortessly as a thought comes". Of course one is thinking
> > > and of course thinking is doing. It may be an effortless
> > > doing, but it's a doing.
> >
> > I think there may be a semantic issue here with
> > regard to "doing."  If, as you say, "doing" can be
> > effortless, it seems like a distinction without a
> > difference.
>
> That's a good part of my point. The issue is largely semantic and
> that's why I said that IMO "it is not incorrect" to word it the way
> Vaj does. It's not a reason for denying the point.

If by "subtle effort" he means "effortless doing,"
then I wouldn't disagree with him.  But I don't think
that's what he means.  Remember he also says there is
"mindfulness" involved in realizing one isn't thinking
the mantra.

<snip>
> > In my understanding, intentionally picking up the
> > mantra is done only when the mantra does not come
> > on its own.
>
> Coming on its own is effortless thinking, yes. But if
> it doesn't come on its own you pick it up--effortlessly.

Right.  That's the instruction for when it doesn't
come on its own.

> > In my experience, the recognition that I am not
> > thinking the mantra arises spontaneously, without
> > any intention or "mindfulness"; and the mantra
> > is there, also spontaneously, immediately following
> > that recognition.  At that point it would require
> > effort *not* to think the mantra.
> >
> > This may not be what occurs for beginning TMers,
> > but I'd suggest that it becomes the case, for
> > most people, at least, after some experience of
> > TM practice.
>
> Sure, the *effortless thinking* of the mantra becomes a
> well-established habit. But it is still thinking/picking
> up the mantra.

But there's no *volition* involved.  The thought
of no-mantra automatically invokes the thought of
mantra (sort of like "Don't think of an elephant"):
No mantra...mantra...mantra...mantra...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: