jim_flanegin wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>As far as I can tell, the entire range of know-
>>ledge I ever read or was exposed to in the TM
>>movement was just that -- A, B and C. Since
>>leaving the TM movement and spending almost 30
>>years doing a lot of reading in other traditions,
>>and studying directly with teachers who cover
>>the subjects that can't be written down, I've
>>probably encountered only seven or eight more
>>"letters of the alphabet." In this lifetime I'll
>>never learn even a *fraction* of the knowledge
>>that is out there.
>>

>There's an irreconcilable difference between university and
>universal knowledge. Sure there are probably as many spiritual
>habits out there as there are people. Some of them are group habits
>which we call traditions. One approach is to experience as many of
>these group habits as possible, each with its own terminology,
>expressions, forms of meditation, conclusions, teachers, etc. I
>would call this approach the university approach, sort of like
>seeing how many books in the library I can read in a lifetime.
>
>The other approach is to find any technique out there which will
>allow the full exploration of any one object, be it a thought, a
>material object, a relationship, or a feeling. If there is
>consistent and continual transcending, a point can be reached where
>there is a familiarity with all objects. I would call this approach
>the universal approach.
>
>In my experience, the universal approach as I have defined it is
>without question the most satisfying.

Many gurus call the "university" approach "bookish" or "wooden"
knowledge and frown on it.

After initiation and with practice of a technique the books might even
take on different and deeper meaning that was not apparent at the
superficial level.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: