Something Sparaig said in another thread just solved
the mystery of his posts for me. It's been so obvious
for so long, and yet I just now got it.

His compulsive participation here and on a.m.t. can
be completely explained as having one simple source:
the need to feel special.

IMO, he and others like him were attracted to the
TM dogma (as opposed to the TM technique) in the first
place because it told them -- over and over and over
and over -- how *special* they were. They (the TMers)
were special because they had managed to stumble upon
a technique that was UNIQUE in all the world. That
belief *alone* makes them "special," if they can be
taught to believe it.

Then, in subsequent talks they were told that not only
was TM UNIQUE, it was SUPERIOR. We simply cannot count
the number of times that Maharishi has claimed that
TM is better than any other technique of meditation
on the planet, and that the intellectual dogma that
underlies it is superior to any other spiritual dogma
on the planet.

The thing is, Sparaig actually *believed* this bullshit.
He gets to take the imagined uniqueness and superiority
of TM and associate it with HIMSELF. If TM is unique
and superior, then HE is unique and superior, for having
found it, and for having maintained his faith in it all
these years.

THAT is why he is here. THAT is why he contributes 10%
to 13% of all posts made to Fairfield Life every month.
In them, the one common theme is that he is defending
the idea that TM is UNIQUE and SUPERIOR. This effort,
between FFL and a.m.t., conceivably takes up four to
six hours of his day, every day.

And what does he do in his "spare" time?  He contributes
his computer expertise to help a guy who is conducting
research whose only purpose seems to be to "prove" that
TM is UNIQUE and SUPERIOR.

Judy posts for the same reasons, in my opinion, but
she is better at hiding her real motives behind a veil
of *general* intellectual superiority. One could be
tempted to think that in her case it's all about her
*personally* being superior to everyone in the world.
But having now figured out the "postus operandi" behind
Sparaig's prodigious output (again, 10-12% of all posts
to FFL, regularly), I think it is safe to use this same
realization to explain Judy's even *more* prodigious
output. She regularly posts 13-16% of all FFL traffic,
and with similar themes -- to defend the notion that
TM is UNIQUE and SUPERIOR.

It's a relief in a way to have finally figured all
this out. It's been obvious for quite a while, but I
kept searching for some more noble reason for these
guys to post as much as they do, as compulsively as
they do. But I really don't think there IS any deeper
reason. They're here because they're defending their
deeply-seated belief that they are UNIQUE and SUPERIOR.
The way they do this is to argue incessantly that TM
is UNIQUE and SUPERIOR.

It's also a relief to figure out why the other posters
to FFL are so refreshing by comparison. They have NO
NEED to "prove" that they are unique and superior, or
even in most cases that TM is. They're content to be
Just Another Seeker on planet Earth, not a special
seeker or a unique seeker or a superior seeker.

It makes all the difference in the world...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: