> > http://polmeth.wustl.edu/retrieve.php?id=640
> > (PDF file)
> >
> > Alan Gerber and Neil Malhotra, "Can political science
> > literatures be believed? A study of publication bias
> > in the APSR and the AJPS"
> >

> There's publication bias, and experimenter bias, and I doubt if
there's any way to tell the
> difference. The "file drawer" effect where a null-finding study
gets filed away because the
> researcher wants to find an effect, or maybe simply because the
researcher *assumes* that
> null-finding studies don't get published as often as positive-
finding studies, is well known.

Did you look at the study?  The most interesting
finding, it seemed to me (and please excuse if I
don't get the terminology right), was that of the
various studies they looked at, there were far more
that *just barely* achieved significance than there
were studies that *just barely* did NOT achieve
significance.  Statistically, there should be a
relatively equivalent number of studies on both
sides of the significance line if results were
being reported accurately.

They concluded that results that were null or did
did not *quite* achieve significance had often been
tweaked to push them just over the line.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: