--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >

> > Every other week I enter the New Yorker's online Caption
> > Contest...that's where they provide you with the cartoon and you
> > provide the caption.  They then narrow it down to three finalists
> > and then people vote for the winner.
> >
> > Well, I never make the finalists.  But when I see who made it, I
> > always think my caption is much funnier.
> >
> > Is it me?  Do I think I'm so brilliant and witty only because
it's
> > wonderful, adorable me? Or are my captions really good?
> >
> > Do me a favor: go to the following website and check out the
three
> > finalists then week, then come back here and check out my entry,
> > which I am putting several spaces below the following link and
tell
> > me if you think mine is funnier or not:
> >
> > http://www.cartoonbank.com/CapContest/CaptionContest.aspx?tab=vote
> >
> > My caption: "Racing stripes are passe.  This year, chocolate
mousse
> > is in."
>
> I found all the captions, yours and the finalists, equally unfunny.

It strikes me that the whole idea of doing a
cartoon drawing without a caption and then
having others come up with captions for it
is so backward it may make a genuinely funny
result unlikely.

Cartoonists don't *start* with just the cartoon
drawing in mind and then dream up a caption for
it, do they?  Don't they usually have some idea
of what the caption is going to be?

I wonder if the drawings the New Yorker uses
for these contests are recycled from cartoons
that originally did have captions by the
cartoonists and were just never used in the
magazine.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: