You physics buffs might enjoy a review of two
books about string theory in a recent New Yorker.
I believe the books have been reviewed elsewhere,
making this post superfluous, but in case not,
here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/k77hc

"Two members of the string-theory generation
have come forward with exposés of what they
deem to be the current mess. 'The story I will
tell could be read by some as a tragedy,' Lee
Smolin writes in "The Trouble with Physics: The
Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science, and
What Comes Next" (Houghton Mifflin; $26).
Peter Woit, in "Not Even Wrong: The Failure
of String Theory and the Search for Unity in
Physical Law" (Basic; $26.95), prefers the
term 'disaster.'"

If string theory - and by extension, physics as a
profession - are as bankrupt as these authors
make out, maybe John Hagelin wasn't so daft to
abandon that career.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: