> [...]
> > And I don't think it turns black holes theory on its head. Black
holes are a consequence
> of
> > classical newtonian physics and Special Relativity, are they
not? Hawkings' conclusions
> > were combining QM with black holes. That doesn't make black
holes impossible
> according
> > to classical physics, just questions the relationship with QM
and gravity, which has
> always
> > been a sticky issue.
> >

> I meant to say General Relativity, not special. And GR and QM have
never gotten along
> well. That was what made Hawking's theory so important to the
Physics community, IIRC.

> The NON-quantum theories of black holes are considered reasonably
intact from what I've
> read. Information-escape from large-scale black holes like the
ones that are supposed to
> happen due to collapsing stars is expected  to take TRILLIONS
**of** TRILLIONS of years,
> even now, after Hawkings lost his bet, so it shouldn't affect how
they behave in the "near
> term," like on the order of magnitude of the age of the universe,
or some other short span
> of time...
>
> IOW, if you approach a standard-theory black-hole-like entity,
you'll still get ripped to
> shreds by tidal effects well beore you cross the "event horizon,"
and if we're living in a
> universe-sized black hole, we'll never know it unless we can show
that space is curved
> sufficiently, which does't appear to be the case.
>

> I taught myself elementary calculus when I was 15, and invented a
variation Gauss's
> technique to sum the numbers 1 to 100 at the same age he did (3rd
grade--in response
> to a challenge to the class by the teacher who was telling us
about Gauss). My ADHD
> prevents me from going on to higher-level math, but don't get
snitty with me, ok, Off-
> world?

You are the one that kept saying "No" to me like some ivory tower
guru.
I take your point though, you are smarter than me. I have only been
interested in the philosophical implications of physics and
astronomy since I was 14, and decided at 16 to not pursue a career
in astronomy because I realised it was mostly sitting in a stuffy
closet number crunching decade after decade.

> In case you're interested, Guass's technique was
>
> 1+100= 101
> 2+99 = 101
> 51+50 = 101
>
> 51 x 101 = 5050.
>

> Mine was:
>
> 1+99 = 100
> 2+ 98 = 100
> 49 + 51 = 100
>
> 49 x100 + 100 + 50 = 5050.>>

I don't get it. seems hard to see why this is hard. i am sure it is.

OffWorld

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: