http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_42/b4005001.htm

Pastoral ideals are getting trampled as organic food goes mass market

"Next time you're in the supermarket, stop and take a look at
Stonyfield Farm yogurt. With its contented cow and green fields, the
yellow container evokes a bucolic existence, telegraphing what we've
come to expect from organic food: pure, pesticide-free, locally
produced ingredients grown on a small family farm.

So it may come as a surprise that Stonyfield's organic farm is long
gone. Its main facility is a state-of-the-art industrial plant just
off the airport strip in Londonderry, N.H., where it handles milk
from other farms. And consider this: Sometime soon a portion of the
milk used to make that organic yogurt may be taken from a chemical-
free cow in New Zealand, powdered, and then shipped to the U.S. True,
Stonyfield still cleaves to its organic heritage. For Chairman and
CEO Gary Hirshberg, though, shipping milk powder 9,000 miles across
the planet is the price you pay to conquer the supermarket dairy
aisle. "It would be great to get all of our food within a 10-mile
radius of our house," he says. "But once you're in organic, you have
to source globally."

(more at link)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional